Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Our Healthy Eating Challenge

Welcome to my blog! I have decided to take on a challenge of healthier eating. During the fall  my husband, Alex, and I had started this challenge and had great results. We both started to lose weight and get in shape by eating healthier and taking daily walks. In January, we uprooted our lived in Cleveland and moved closer to home, to Columbus. With our move occurring right at the holidays we lost momentum in our healthier eating goal.

In front of our new home-January 2012
Recently Alex began participating in a "Biggest Loser" type competition with some of his co-workers. This competition has presented us with the opportunity to jump start our healthier eating goal again along with giving us the opportunity to embrace a healthier lifestyle.

This past weekend when preparing for my weekly grocery shopping trip I realized not only was I beginning to embrace a healthier eating lifestyle but in a sense, a more "green" lifestyle as well. As I created my menu for the week I wrote our food choices on the dry erase board that hangs in our kitchen rather than writing our menu on one of the many list pads that hang on our refrigerator. Then while walking out the door I became aware that not only was I carrying our iPad containing my shopping list, again preventing me from using a piece of paper, I was also carrying four of my countless reusable shopping bags. To continue my stereotypical description, I got into our Prius to make my way to the store. While walking through the store I found myself noticing the things that some of the other customers in the store were purchasing. I was amazed at the number of people buying mostly processed foods and very little fresh fruits and vegetables. I have found that simply eliminating these processed foods and limiting the consumption of processed sugars and pop can go a long way towards reaching our goal of becoming healthier.
View at Slate Run Metro Park where we walk

I look forward to sharing my healthy cooking adventures as well as the adventures in healthy living that we encounter as we take on this challenge together in our household. As always I welcome any healthy food or lifestyle suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Awesome blog! Sounds like a good challenge. :-) Here is my contribution, a recipe from Runner's World for mac and cheese that's low calorie. You can't taste the cauliflower at all. It's great when you need "comfort food" like mac and cheese but don't want to go overboard on calories and fat. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-303-504-13847-0,00.html

    ReplyDelete